Wednesday 13 June 2012

Brunei and Tongariro; Envelopes and Scale bars


Last time I went back home to my parents house and slept in my old bedroom, I found four envelopes that I had once sorted stamps into, labelled, and tucked away in the bookshelf above my old cast-iron bed.


This afternoon (after I clocked off work of course), I sorted out some of the stamps and tried to take some photos of them on the photography table at work. That is why, in the above photo, for my own great amusement, I have included a scale bar (hello archaeologist friends!).

Anyhow, in the envelopes, as you would plainly expect, there are lots of treasures.
There are a whole heap of stamps from Brunei, all with the Sultan's head on them. These came from my cousins who lived in Brunei in what must have been the late-eighties/early-nineties. This was about the time, I think, that my Dad thought it was hilarious if he got us to do salaams and call him Master. I think he fancied himself a Sultan. We didn't fall for it for a second.


 Anyhow, the stamps are all very beautiful, and I am not sure what I am going to do with them. Put them in an album? Make gift tags out of them? Leave them in their envelopes, so that in another twenty years when I am rifling through my stuff, I find them and get great pleasure out of tipping out the contents and discovering the delightful treasures anew? Hmmm... I am not sure. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.







So many pretty pictures, so many lovely lovely treasures... but just as I was putting away the stamps, I found this one:


It shows the Tongariro National Park and Chateau. I had no idea that I had this stamp, but I totally totally LOVE it. Last year, my Mum and I went to NZ and hiked the Tongariro Crossing... and the next day went and had high tea at the chateau. So this completely wonderful little stamp epitomises a really fantastic holiday! YAY for cool stamps! Big-ups to New Zealand Post!


Mount Tongariro
High tea at the chateau with Mum
And one of the view from the top.. below the snow level. It totally made the 19km hike worthwhile!

4 comments:

  1. Helen, you could decoupage an old hat box with your stamps and keep all of your hundreds of letters from your adoring fans in it - just a suggestion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha!!! I need to work on the hundreds of adoring fans part, Sandra... but I do like your suggestion! A bit of old school decoupage could go down a treat. :)

      Delete
  2. lovely finding hidden presents from yourself - especially when they connect in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love this stamp Helen and the memories of our wonderful holiday in beautiful NZ together, not to mention that gruelling 19km Tongariro Crossing walk! I know I wont be doing that again anytime soon, though I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a challenge and to see some magnificent scenery at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

Hello internet friends! I love to read your comments - so thanks for sharing ♥