Wednesday 23 January 2013

Despatched by Tin Can Mail


Kym bought in the coolest bit of "show and tell" to work recently - her Grandfather's cover from 6th September 1937. It was thrown overboard in a sealed tin can from the Cruise Steamer "Maunganui"to be collected by canoe from the Tongan island of Niuafoou (or Niuafo'ou) before it found its way to the faraway Victorian country town of Kerang.



This is possibly the coolest item of post I have ever seen. And I don't think I am overstating it. I had heard this story of the Tin Can Island from Meredith, when she shared her son's stamp collection with us a few months ago. But to see an actual piece of Tin Can Mail... what a treat!!


How wonderful are all the stamps on the reverse? There is even a little bit of Cyrillic thrown in!


So I am very delighted to discover that Meredith's fantastical story of the Tin Can Island is in fact true - I have seen the post to prove it! Thanks so much Kym for sharing this wonderful little treasure (I do so love "show and tell")!

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely fascinating.
    And so many stamps on it, too!
    I had never heard of such a thing, but then I don't know much about the Pacific Islands.

    ReplyDelete

Hello internet friends! I love to read your comments - so thanks for sharing ♥